We’re Always Interested in Publishing New Material
Thank you for your interest in Pioneer Drama Service. We are one of the largest full-service play publishing companies in North America targeting the educational, children’s, and community theatre markets.
21 Reasons to Publish a Play or Musical with Pioneer Drama Service
- Your new play or musical gets maximum visibility on our website. New titles are listed at the top of all applicable search results pages for a full year.
- New plays and musicals receive special highlighting within the appropriate catalog section for a full year.
- We distribute 90,000 catalogs twice a year, going to every single middle school and high school in both the United States and Canada, plus 10,000 colleges, churches, rec centers, home school co-ops, community theatres, and children’s theatres.
- Besides being one of the only play publishers marketing directly to Canada, we have international representatives in Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa. We also work in partnership with a publisher in the Netherlands to translate and publish select plays and musicals into Dutch and market them throughout that country.
- New titles are featured weekly through email blasts to 20,000 subscribers. These spotlights include script samples to better introduce your play to directors.
- Up to a third of your play, including the cast of characters and the full production notes, will be available as a free script sample on our website in order to generate interest and productions of your show. As they become available, we’ll also upload photos, videos, slide shows, and raving testimonials from groups that have already performed your show so that your play or musical has even more appeal on the website.
- We work diligently to protect you against copyright infringement. We have many safeguards in place to minimize your risk of unlawful photocopying or unlicensed performances, as well as a dedicated infringements department to conduct research.
- We appreciate you trusting us to publish your work and know how much it means to you. We invite you to include a personal touch with dedications and/or an original cast list in your published script.
- We pride ourselves on the quality of our proofing. Our standards are higher than other publishers, and our experienced team of proofreaders and editors are second-to-none to help us consistently meet this benchmark.
- We develop a personal relationship with our writers through the proofing process. Once you’re published with us, you’ll always feel a part of the Pioneer family and all future submissions will receive more personal handling and faster response time.
- We pay for the copyright and take care of all the filing for you. While our standard procedure is to ease all hassles for you by putting the copyright in our name, if you prefer it in your name, just let us know. We’re happy to oblige.
- Our talented graphic design department creates original title and cover art in both color and black and white to help promote your show.
- As soon as it’s published, you receive 10 complimentary copies of your script. If you want more scripts at any time in the future, just let us know. We’re happy to provide you with additional scripts at no charge for the sake of promoting the show. (We also provide scripts for your mother at no charge, but we’ll send them to you first so you can autograph them for her!)
- We post your biography and photo on our website as soon as your play is available. On this bio page, you’re also welcome to promote your own website or blog. In addition, we offer you a way to invite customers to contact you via email without putting you at risk for spam. Our playwrights love the “fan mail” they receive through this feature.
- Our Playwright Portal allows you to see at any time where your play is being produced and who is doing it. The portal also gives you the ability to track how much your next royalty check will be.
- We offer the most flexibility of any publisher in terms of how our scripts are available. For preview, customers can purchase a complete paper script or have instant access to a full script electronically. For production, directors can also choose between paper and electronic scripts. We even offer instant download of any script for production, while still vigilantly protecting your rights.
- Your play or musical will never be buried in a website with thousands of titles. We carry only the best shows for our well-defined market, so our offerings are more limited than some publishers, but always right on target for our customers.
- Pioneer’s website leads the industry in style and design and appears on the first page of Google for a vast array of search terms. Our search engine helps customers narrow their search engine findings down by running time, cast size, and genre to find the perfect play or musical for their needs.
- We make it easy for our playwrights to support important causes with our Sharing Through Theatre™ Royalty Donation Program. Donate a modest portion of your royalties and Pioneer Drama will match your donation one hundred percent.
- With more than 50 years of publishing for the educational, children’s, and community theatre markets under our belts, you can trust us to know exactly what it takes to prepare your manuscript for mass market appeal.
- We never publish a manuscript just to make ourselves look bigger or show off the number of new titles we accept. If we offer you a contract, you have our full commitment that we sincerely believe we will be successful selling your script in our well-defined market and will work hard to make that happen.